Wednesday, May 20, 2009

One More Take on NotreShame

And since it's a very good analogical take, I'll swipe it (with credit...)

I see nothing wrong with swatting flies.

Let's say that you have a different opinion. You think the lives of flies are sacred, and therefore you think that swatting flies is grossly immoral. You hold this view with the utmost sincerity. Unfortunately for you, I'm making the rules. And I say:

You can't refer to fly-swatting as "murder." That would be "hate speech," inciting others to violence.

You can't interfere when I swat flies.

You must contribute to the purchase of fly swatters.


Now, with those ground-rules established, let's begin a civil discussion of the morality of swatting flies. There's no need for anger, recrimination, or name-calling. We have a sincere different of opinion. Let's-- oh, wait, excuse me a moment [thwack!]-- find some common ground

--Diogenes

No comments: