Thursday, September 01, 2011

A Man to Emulate!

The whole story (it's short) is at this link, but here's C S Lewis' letter which is the meat of the post:

TO THE SOCIETY FOR THE PREVENTION OF PROGRESS (L):

[Magdalen College
May 1944]

Dear Sir,

While feeling that I was born a member of your Society, I am nevertheless honoured to receive the outward seal of membership. I shall hope by continued orthodoxy and the unremitting practice of Reaction, Obstruction, and Stagnation to give you no reason for repenting your favour.

I humbly submit that in my Riddell Lectures entitled The Abolition of Man you will find another work not at all unworthy of consideration for admission to the canon.

Yours regressively,
C.S. Lewis


As you might expect, the rest of the story is deadly fun/serious.


Oh, and The Abolition of Man is a very good read, too!

No comments: